Tuesday 10 April 2012

Old Commercials (Part II)

This is probably only nostalgic if you're Canadian, just warning.

Hokay. So all of you probably remember those Concerned Children Advertiser's messages from the '90s/2000s, right? If not, allow me to jog your memory.



The house hippo is totally a Canadian icon. I mean everyone knows who he (she?) is. The main focus here though is those damn commercials. They ran on every channel I watched (basically Teletoon, CTV, and YTV). There was no escaping their positive message. And the worst part is, I still have them all memorized. I'm not just talking two or three ads, they ran a series of a good fifteen or twenty that have been burned into my eardrum and retina to this very day.

The silliest ones were about personal image and self esteem. They used the most dire child actors (keyword is child though so maybe that has something to do with it) and the lamest scenarios. Heh, anyone remember the one with the bully who's talking to himself at a fence about smashing kids faces in et cetera?

I wonder whether he's pumping gas or dealing crack now. Both are leaps and bounds better than screaming at a wall though.

No comments:

Post a Comment